Military Affairs Committee and Activities
Click Here for Resources for Veteran Owned Businesses
Much of the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce's efforts are executed through the work of numerous Chamber committees. Each committee is comprised of a variety of Chamber members from around the business community.
Each committee has a volunteer facilitator who chairs the committee, a staff member to provide general guidance and direction, and a liaison from the board of directors. The purpose of each committee is to carry out specific goals and objectives as defined by the Chamber Board of Directors.
- Support activities and programs that support veteran owned businesses owners that are members of the Chamber
- Plan, help coordinate, and solicit sponsors for the annual Tribute to the Military Breakfast event, that recognizes our military, Luke Air Force Base, veteran-business owners, and veterans. Veteran-business owners who are Chamber members attend the event as our guest. (Luke AFB business retention awareness effort)
- Luke Bags, is an extension of the Chamber's shop local campaign and visitor promotions. Each month new arrivals to Luke Air Force Base receive information about the importance of shopping local. New base arrivals receive the Chamber's official visitor guide, the Chamber local map, and official Chamber Resource and Relocation Guide. Chamber members also include promotional items and giveaways all packed in special bag. (Shop Local Program)
About the Military Affairs Committee
To help accomplish the mission of the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce, a Military Affairs Committee (MAC) was created. The original purpose of the committee was to send a clear message to the decision makers, at all levels of government, that the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce strongly supports Luke Air Force Base.
Since the inception of MAC, the goals and objectives have expanded to include:
- To protect and preserve Luke Air Force military’s presence in the area and to educate the businesses of the economic impact of Luke Air Force Base on the local economy. (Objective: Advocacy and Economic Retention Effort for areas largest employer)
- To educate and inform base personnel about local activities, businesses, and tourist attractions of the Region. (The Chamber's visitor and shop local activities, a.k.a. Luke Bags, achive Chamber objectives in Shop Local efforts)
- To support Chamber members who are veterans, and provide them networking opportunities. (Military Affairs Committee and website) ( Objective: Supporting businesses)
- To provide referral information to veteran-owned businesses. (Website)
- To have a liaison group that can collaborate with other military and veteran organizations in order to promote membership and supporting other Chamber activities (Chamber's Community Raffle, Shop Local, and candidate forums, distribution of visitor guides, etc.).
- In collaboration with Government Relations Committee, advocate on behalf of Luke Air Force Base and veteran-owned businesses on matters that support economic development and the local business economy.